Launched: August 2019
Representing: Local and multinational companies, associations, banks and investors, local government, academic, research and civil society institutions.
The Viet Nam Coalition for Climate Action is committed to ambitious climate action in Viet Nam in order to support the delivery of the targets under the Paris Agreement. National partners that support this alliance are GreenID and WWF-Viet Nam.
Members commit to taking climate action both individually and collaboratively in order to make the Paris Agreement's 1.5°C temperature goal a reality, with an initial focus on the energy and industrial sectors. They will also use their leadership to engage constructively with the public and with the national government to accelerate the implementation of national climate targets and to leverage domestic opportunities for higher ambition. Members include large companies such as H&M, associations such as the Viet Nam Textile and Apparel Association, local energy companies such as Solar BK, Hội An City and academic partners including Hue University.
There is still a monumental gap between national emissions reductions targets and the Paris Agreement's 1.5°C temperature goal. The Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change Special Report on 1.5°C found that the world must reduce its emissions by 45-50% by 2030, and reach net zero emissions by 2050, in order to meet the Paris Agreement's 1.5°C temperature goal. Closing this gap through enhanced climate targets and ramped up climate action is essential to safeguard the future of Viet Nam and the world.
National governments cannot meet the global climate challenge alone. We, the signatories of the Viet Nam Coalition for Climate Action (VCCA), pledge our commitment to ambitious climate action in Viet Nam in order to support the delivery of the goals committed to globally under the Paris Agreement and the Sustainable Development Goals.
As pioneers from business, academia, sub-national governments, media and civil society organisations, we understand the critical role that we can play to build a Vietnamese economy that is powered by low-carbon, climate-resilient practices and technologies, matching our actions with the urgency and scale required to deliver on the Paris Agreement. In fact, we believe that the wellbeing and prosperity of Viet Nam lies in an inclusive net-zero economy that creates new opportunities for sustainable growth and development.
VCCA envisions a net-zero economy that ensures the safety, sustainability and prosperity of Viet Nam. VCCA stands for enhancing win-win partnerships between the national government and non-state actors to foster the application, replica on and diffusion of climate actions across local communities, households and business to support Viet Nam's commitments under the Paris Agreement.
We commit to taking concrete climate action both individually and collaboratively in order to make the Paris Agreement's 1.5°C temperature goal a reality. First we will prioritise our efforts on the energy and industry sectors, with a focus on ramping up action in ﬁve key action areas:
- Under the One Million Green Roofs, applying solar rooftop electricity and other green solutions to one million homes, buildings, offices, and production facilities by 2030.
- Working at the city level through One Planet Cities to develop and implement more ambitious city plans to mitigate and adapt to climate change.
- Promoting the development of multiple land use models that integrates agriculture and renewable energy, bringing mutual benefits to local communities, farmers and investors.
- Reducing the greenhouse gas emissions of key processing export industries by working collaboratively with industry associations and businesses.
- Promoting the co-benefits of renewable energy and energy services including a just transition for vulnerable groups in Viet Nam.
We will also use our leadership and influence to engage constructively with the public and with the national government to accelerate the implementation of our national climate targets and leverage domestic opportunities for higher ambition. This includes through a revised Nationally Determined Contribution (NDC) and development of Viet Nam's Long-term Low Greenhouse Gas Emissions Development Strategies (LT-LEDS).
We will also work collaboratively from the local level up to the global level as part of the global network of domestic coalitions, Alliances for Climate Action.
We invite leaders from across communities, sectors and disciplines in Viet Nam to join the VCCA. By working together we will multiply our efforts and mobilise the climate action that is needed to ensure the long-term security, health and prosperity of Viet Nam, and Viet Nam's contribution to delivering a safe planet for us all.
News and Topics
Member Organizations / Signatories
- WWF Viet Nam
- Change Viet Nam
- SNV Viet Nam
- New Energy Nexus
- Clean Energy Investment Accelerator
- Solar Tech JSC.
- Sai Gon Build Investment JSC.
- Amplus Solar_Petronas Group
- Vinh Thai JSC.
- Anh Sang Xanh Fertilizer Technology JSC.
- Vu Phong Solar JSC.
- Son Ha International JSC.
- Climate Sense LTD.
- Quốc Thịnh JSC.
- Tbnet Telecomunication JSC.
- Sametel JSC.
- Center for Social Research and Development (CSRD)
- City of Hoi An
- HDBank Hiệp Phú branch
- Long Vu LTd
- IMHEN-HMC (Vietnam Institute of Meteorology, Hydrology and Climate Change)
- Thăng Uy Group
- Solar South Tech
- Kim Delta
- Except Integrated Sustainability
- Viet Nam Biogas Association
- Viet Nam Textile and Apparel Association
- Tôn Đức Thắng University
- Hue University - Faculty of Geography & Geology
- University of Agriculture and Forestry, Hue University- Faculty of civil engineering
- Faculty of Environmental Science - Hue University
- Faculty of geotechnical engineering - Hue University
- E_Group - Vinh University
- Center for Environmental and Biological Resources (CEBR)
- Department of Air Pollution and Climate Change - Ho Chi Minh National University
- Dragon - Mekong Institute
- MACDI (Microfinance and Community Development Institute)
- Sống Foundation
- EEN-Viet Nam (Energy Efficiency Network for Viet Nam)
- Center for Development of Community Initiative and Environment
- MEC (Center for Media in Educating Community)
- HDBank - Hiep Phu Branch
- Hứa Minh Trọng
- 4P's Corporation
- Electricity and Lighting Viet Nam JSC
- Ingine Pacific Co. Ltd
- Alena Energy
- Fulbright University Vietnam
- The Lotus project
- Earth Venture Capital